Mai i Waimihia ki Waingaehe, Te Kuraeoteihuo Tamatekapua
Ko Ngōngōtahā te maunga
Ko Te Rotoruanui-a-Kahumatamomoe te moana
Ko Te Papaiouru te marae
Ko Ngāti Whakaue te iwi
Ko Te Arawa te waka
Ngāti Whakaue gets our name from our ancestor, Whakaue Kaipapa.
Whakaue was a recognised and well respected leader amongst his people. He was a direct descendant of Tamatekapua through his father Uenukukōpako.
He was also the father of many tupuna who themselves have iwi named after them such as Ngāti Rangiwewehi, Ngāti Ngāraranui and many others.
However, our links to Ngāti Whakaue connect more closely with the youngest son of Whakaue, Tutanekai and his descendents.
It was Tutanekai, who raised his people to become the tribal force that we now know as Ngāti Whakaue. Ngāti Whakaue live on the beautiful southern shores of Lake Rotorua and around the Maketu region of coastal Bay of Plenty.
Kei raro iho te whakapapa o Tutanekai ratau ko ōna uri, arā, ngāa tupuna o nga hapū Koromātua o Ngāti Whakaue e mohiotia ana inaianei.
We, the uri of Ngāti Whakaue, share our blood, our links, our whakapapa from these tupuna. Mauri ora!
According to Statistics New Zealand Census 2006, the population of Ngāti Whakaue is 7,311. The number of people on the Ngāti Whakaue Tribal Register with postal addresses is approximately 3,000 adult members.
Ngā Marae o Ngāti Whakaue me o ratau hapū (Ngāti Whakaue Marae and associated hapū)
Ngā marae o Ngāti Whakaue
- Weriweri marae at Waitetī belonging to Ngāti Ngararanui
- Parawai marae at Ngōngōtahā township belonging to Te Whatumairangi, Ngāti Tuteaiti and other hapū;
- Tarukenga marae at Tarukenga belonging to Ngāti Tura and Ngāti Te Ngakau
- Waikuta marae at Waikuta belonging to Ngāti Rangitunaeke hapū of Ngāti Tunohopu;
- Koutu marae at Te Koutu belonging to Ngāti Karenga hapū of Ngāti Pukaki;
- Tarewa marae at Tarewa belonging to Ngāti Taharangi, Ngāti Kea and Ngāti Tuarā;
- Te Kuirau marae at Utuhina (Ohinemutu) belonging to Te Kowhai/Timihou whānau of Ngāti Te Rorooterangi;
- Paratehoata-Te Kohea marae at Ohinemutu belonging to Ngāti Tunohopu and Ngāti Whakaue;
- Te Papaiouru marae at Ohinemutu belonging to the six Koromātua hapū of Ngāti Whakaue;
- Ngāpuna marae at Ngāpuna belonging to Ngāti Hurungaterangi, Ngāti Taeotu among others;
- Owhata marae at Owhata (Hinemoa Point) belonging to Ngāti Te Rorooterangi;
- Whakaue (Tapiti/Maketu) marae, belonging to Ngāti Whakaue ki Maketu;
- Te Awawherowhero Marae at Waitetī, belonging to Ngāati Rautao
Ngāti Whakaue Hapū
Ngā hapū o Ngāti Whakaue
Ngāti Te Kahu
Ngāti Te Tiwha
Ngāti Te Ririu
Ngāti Te Uawhaki
Ngāti Te Rangitakuku
Ngāti Te Heke
Ngāti Te Rorooterangi
Ngāti Te Whetu
Ngāti Kea/Ngāti Tuara